The Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission on June 6 enforced ceilings on prices of three slabs of broadband internet in the nation for the first time.
5 Mbps, 10 Mbps and 20 Mbps are the 3 broadband internet slabs. The monthly price ceilings on those 3 slabs have been set at Tk 500, Tk 800 and Tk 1,200 respectively.
Other than the prices, a 5 per cent VAT will be applicable and customers will have to bear the tax.
In Bangladesh, the amount of unique internet users, whether mobile and broadband, has reached 5.89 crore.
Out of the 5.89 crore, 4.9 crore are unique mobile internet users and the rest are broadband internet users.
According to the BTRC data, the nation’s internet usage has reached 2,409 Gbps. Of the usage, the broadband internet users consume 58 per cent or 1,392 Gbps and the mobile internet users consume the remaining 42 per cent or 1,017 Gbps.
An internet service provider, while attending the event online from Khulna, requested the government to set internet prices at the international internet gateway (IIG) level so that the ISPs could implement the ceilings conveniently.