In 2022, Bangladesh’s annual tea production has declined by over 3%. The government-run Bangladesh Tea Board (BTB) estimates that about 94 million kilograms (kg) of tea were produced in the previous year. The major causes of this decline were a lack of rain during the first half of 2022 and a temporary production stop due to labor unrest later that year. The BTB reported that the objective for the year, which was 100 million kgs, could not be met. Earlier, garden owners argued that the strike would reduce output and result in losses. Tea exports and related revenues have grown in the meantime. 0.68 million kg were exported in 2021, earning Tk 180.57 million. To 0.78 million kg and Tk 196.31 million respectively in 2022.
On the other hand, tea exports in 2020 were 2.17 million kg and 347.14 million Tk. In Bangladesh, households consume 45% of all tea produced; the remaining 55% is eaten in cafes, restaurants, and workplaces. Tea is one of the most consumed beverages in the nation and is favored by low-income groups as well because it is a part of both social and professional life. The 167 tea gardens in the nation total over 280,000 acres. With 2% of global tea production, Bangladesh is currently ranked as the ninth largest tea producer in the world.
Source for more details: