The Bangladesh Small and Cottage Industries Corporation (BSCIC) has launched a project to bolster local salt production, aiming for self-sufficiency in meeting the country’s seasoning needs. The initiative includes the establishment of the “Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Salt Research and Training Institute” in Cox’s Bazar. The BSCIC plans to train 7,250 farmers and 3,000 entrepreneurs in producing high-quality salt, providing employment opportunities for around 50,000 people. Priority will be given to unemployed individuals and women for training.
The project, estimated to cost Tk 194.13 crore, has completed a feasibility study and a Detailed Project Plan (DPP), which will be submitted for approval. Bangladesh currently produces 80% of its required salt, while the remaining 20% is imported. This year, local salt production reached a record high due to favorable weather conditions. The BSCIC anticipates increased demand from industries and estimates the sector will need 12.10 lakh tonnes of salt annually in the next five years. The initiative has been welcomed by the Bangladesh Salt Farmers Association, as it aims to introduce modern methods to replace existing unhygienic techniques. The domestic salt industry contributes significantly to the national economy, providing employment for approximately 15 lakh people.